Monday, September 19, 2011

How do I change the heating element in my 98 Chevy Lumina?

I have bought the element and need to replace the old one with it but I am really clueless as how to. I was told that it is located under my dash either on the center or passenger side and that there are two hoses going into the firewall and that the element will be on the opposite side. This information doesn't help very much. If I knew where the element really is and how to get to it then I can change it. Please someone help me~!!!!How do I change the heating element in my 98 Chevy Lumina?Not an easy task in that vehicle... it would take a certified mechanic a few hours, and a lot of cursing and screaming to get it done... Unless you have done some time consuming repairs in the past, have the right tools, and patience... I recommend taking it to a mechanic. - Good Luck!How do I change the heating element in my 98 Chevy Lumina?You have most likely just entered a whole world of hurt.



I've never done a heater core on a lumina, but most are buried under the dash, and usually require disassembling or even removing a good chunk of the dash itself.



They are right about the hoses though - check on the firewall (between the engine compartment and the dash) and you will see two heater hoses that are attached to the heater core. You can pull them off, and use a little adaptor to hook them together to bypass the heater (if its leaking in the car), although you won't have heat anymore.



Once you locate the hoses, then the heater core will be directly on the other side of the firewall - unfortunately it will be inside of a box (heater plenum) and that sucker is probably going to be buried somewhere in the dash.



You can check a repair manual for instructions on getting the dash out, or just dive in, and start hunting for how they hid all of the screws, bolts, clips, etc. - some are pretty easy to find hiding behind little plastic covers, you might need a torx head screwdriver set, or other tools.



The heater plenum is usually pretty easy to spot, because it will have a bunch of little ducts going to the vents, and a bunch of little control rods for changing from defrost, vents, floor, etc. - careful, because if you mess these rods up, your controls won't work right anymore.



Also be careful to make note of how you are taking things apart, keep all of the fasteners/bolts/screws - otherwise your dash will look like crap and make all sorts of annoying noises when you get it back together. (edit - I forgot, you usually have to unbolt the steering wheel and lower it down in order to get the dash out)



Most of the cars I have done this to did require you to actually remove the entire dash, or at least lean it back in order to get the plenum apart, and replace the heater core.



You might want to get some quotes - because it ain't for the faint of heart.How do I change the heating element in my 98 Chevy Lumina?get out your shop manual..[15 dollars any parts store] read it... take car to shop ,have mechanic do it.How do I change the heating element in my 98 Chevy Lumina?This isnt an easy job, the heater core isnt easy to get to. its on the passenger side under the dash. But you might have to remove most of your dash to get to hit. What makes you think its the heater core??? Is it leaking on the floor board? Do you smell antifreeze in the car?? Let me know please