Monday, September 19, 2011

How do I port forward my modem?

I have come to the conclusion that my modem is to blame for my port forwarding issues. I recently moved houses and my ISP equipped me with a new modem, so i jumped into my routers home page and began port forwarding, the problem is when i run a port scan the ports are all closed. Nothing has changed, same firewall and antivrus, so it must me the modem?



The modem model is a Sagem V2 Optus, how do i set up port forwarding?How do I port forward my modem?To log in into your modem you take the ethernet cable from modem and plug in into computer (YES, BYPASS ROUTER ). Then you go to start button --%26gt; RUN---%26gt; type CMD---%26gt;type in opened window IPCONFIG /ALL--%26gt; you will see default gateway and ip next to it. Type into browser and you ll see modem setup page.

Or you can guess the IP which might be 192.168.1.254



But you must bypass router or you will get default gateway of router which is 192.168.1.1 or 10.0.0.1 or something like that.



Also you might have problems with your firewall and antivirus firewall. Just disable them for a moment completely. And don't forget to disable the windows firewall in control panel just in case.



And make sure that your router has ports opened!



BTW if you use port scanner your antiviruses, firewalls , router might freak out and scanner will tell you that ports are closed.



Good luck



PS I hope you have windows xp or windows vista. Because what i wrote is for them. For Mac you open terminal and type IFCONFIG and look for eth0 default gateway ip :) And same procedure!